CHOICE BASED CREDIT SYSTEM (CBCS):
The CBCS provides an opportunity for the students to choose courses from the prescribed courses comprising core, elective/minor or skill based courses. The courses can be evaluated following the grading system, which is considered to be better than the conventional marks system. Therefore, it is necessary to introduce uniform grading system in the entire higher education in India. This will benefit the students to move across institutions within India to begin with and across countries. The uniform grading system will also enable potential employers in assessing the performance of the candidates. In order to bring uniformity in evaluation system and computation of the Cumulative Grade Point Average(CGPA) on student’s performance in examinations, the UGC has formulated the guidelines to be followed.
Outline of Choice Based Credit System:1. Core Course: A course, which should compulsorily be studied by a candidate as a core requirement is termed as a Core course.
2. Elective Course: Generally a course which can be chosen from a pool of courses and which may be very specific or specialized or advanced or supportive to the discipline/ subject of study or which provides an extended scope or which enables an exposure to some other discipline /subject /domain the candidate’s proficiency/skill is called an Elective Course.
2.1 Discipline Specific Elective (DSE) Course: Elective courses may be offered by the main discipline/subject of study is referred to as Discipline Specific Elective. The University /Institute may also offer discipline related Elective courses of interdisciplinary nature (to be offered by main discipline/subject of study).
2.2 Dissertation/Project: An elective course designed to acquire special/advanced knowledge, such as supplement study/ support study to a project work, and a candidate studies such a course on his own with an advisory support by a teacher /faculty member is called dissertation /project.
2.3 Generic Elective (GE) Course: An elective course chosen generaly from an unrelated discipline/subject, with intention to seek exposure is called a Generic Elective. P.S.: A core course offered in a subject may be treated as an elective by other discipline/subject and vice versa and such electives may also be referred to as Generic Elective.
3. Ability Enhancement Courses (AEC)/ Competency Improvement Courses/Skill Development Courses/Foundation Course: The Ability Enhancement (AE) Courses may be of two kinds: AE Compulsory Course (AECC) and AE Elective Course (AEEC). “AECC” courses are the courses based upon the content that leads Knowledge enhancement. They ((i) Environmental Science, (ii) English/MIL Communication) are mandatory for all disciplines. AEEC courses are value-based and/or skill-based and are aimed at providing hands-on-training, competencies, skills, etc.
3.1 AE Compulsory Course (AECC): Environmental Science, English Communication/MIL Communication.
3.2 AE Elective Course (AEEC): These courses may be chosen from a pool of courses designed to provide value-based and/or skill-based instruction.
SUBJECTS OFFERED B.Sc. (Hons) Physics
Core Papers (C): (Credit: 06 each) (1 period/week for tutorials or 4 periods/week for practical)
1. Mathematical Physics-I (4 + 4)
2. Mechanics (4 + 4)
3. Electricity and Magnetism (4 + 4)
4. Waves and Optics (4 + 4)
5. Mathematical Physics–II (4 + 4)
6. Thermal Physics (4 + 4)
7. Digital Systems and Applications(4 + 4)
8. Mathematical Physics III (4 + 4)
9. Elements of Modern Physics (4 + 4)
10. Analog Systems and Applications (4 + 4)
11.Quantum Mechanics &Applications(4 + 4)
12. Solid State Physics (4 + 4)
13. Electromagnetic Theory (4 + 4)
14. Statistical Mechanics (4 + 4)
Discipline Specific Elective Papers: (Credit: 06 each) - DSE 1-4
(4 papers to be selected: 02 each for Odd semester and Even semester as listed below)
1. Experimental Techniques (4) + Lab (4)
2.Advanced Mathematical Physics(4)+Lab (4)
3.Embedded systems- Introduction to Micro-controller + Lab (4)
4.Nuclear & Particle Physics (5) + Tutorial (1)
5. Physics of Devices&Communication (4) + Lab (4)
6. Astronomy &Astrophysics (5) +Tutorial (1)
7. Atmospheric Physics (4) + Lab (4)
8. Biological physics (5) + Tutorial (1)
9. Advanced Mathematical Physics-II (5) + Tutorial (1)
10. Communication System (4) + Lab (1)
11. Applied Dynamics (4) + Lab (4)
12. Verilog and FPGA based system design (4) + Lab (4)
13. Classical Dynamics (5) + Tutorial (1)
14. Digital Signal processing (4 ) + Lab (4)
15. Nano Materials and Applications(4) + Lab (4)
16. Physics of the Earth (5) + Tutorial (1)
17. Medical Physics (4) + Lab (4)
Skill Enhancement Courses (02 to 04 papers) (Credit: 02 each)- SEC1 to SEC4
1. Physics Workshop Skills
2. Computational Physics Skills
3. Electrical circuits and Network Skills
4. Basic Instrumentation Skills
5. Renewable Energy and Energy harvesting
6. Technical Drawing
7. Radiation Safety
8. Applied Optics
9. Weather Forecasting
Generic Elective Papers (GE) (Minor-Physics) for other Departments/Disciplines: (Credit: 06 each)
Odd Semesters (1st and 3rd semesters)
1. Electricity and Magnetism (4) + Lab (4)
2. Mathematical Physics(4) + Lab (4)
3. Digital, Analog and Instrumentation (4) + Lab (4)
4. Applied Dynamics (4) + Lab (4)
5. Medical Physics (4) + Lab (4)
6. Waves and Optics (4) + Lab (4)
7. Quantum Mechanics (4) + Lab (4)*
8. Communication System (4) + Lab (4)*
9. Verilog and FPGA based system design (4) + Lab (4)*
10. Nano Materials and Applications(4) + Lab (4)*
*Not offered in 1st semester.
Even semesters (2nd and 4th semesters)
11. Mechanics (4) + Lab (4)
12. Elements of Modern Physics(4)+Lab (4)
13. Solid State Physics (4) + Lab (4)
14. Embedded System: Introduction to microcontroller(4) + Lab (4)
15. Biological physics (5) + Tutorials (1)
16. Thermal Physics (4) + Lab (4)
17. Digital Signal processing (4 ) + Lab (4)
18. Nuclear and Particle Physics (5) + Tut (1)**
19. Astronomy and Astrophysics (5) + Tutorials (1)**
20. Atmospheric Physics (4) + Lab (4)**
21. Physics of the Earth (5) + Tutorials (1)**
**Not offered in 2nd semester.
Complete syllabus of Bsc physics honours (in pdf)
By Bsc Physics Notes
Vaibhav TyagiPersonal Homepage : Click HerePhD in Atmospheric SciencesIndian Institute of Technology Indore, MPM.Sc. Physics (2020-2022)Indian Institute of TechnologyPalakkad , Kerala
M.Sc. Physics (2020-2022)
Indian Institute of Technology
Palakkad , Kerala